Friday, October 7, 2011

Jim Baker / Kyle Bruckmann / Michael Zerang - Psychotic Redaction [Multikulti]

Jim Baker - electronics
Kyle Bruckmann - reeds, electronics
Michael Zerang - drums

Multikulti 2011






When I see two guys playing 'electronics' on one album I'm usually quite reserved. Take that into the account when I say:
From the very first seconds of a fuzzy electronic scratch, a wailing ancient horn and tribal rhythm this album is truly a blast! 
So without a further ado let me get right into saying that it's absolutely fascinating. A feast of ethnic grooves, fat, fuzzied bass, distorted and bent noises and (ocassionally) an ancient reed soaring over, but more often than not additionally transformed through electronic filters, looped or sampled and resampled.

Zerang presents in full display his mastery of all kind of hand drums and creates a hypnotic rhythm structure. Baker and Bruckmann (splitting his duties between the strangely sounding reed instruments and the even more so electronics) add to this a dense electronic sauce. Nature meets the machine.
Athur C. Clarke's third law stays: any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. And somehow when I listen to this cd this statement keeps nagging at the back of my head and I can't shake it off. There's something so primal and powerfull about the way the electronics sound mix and merge with the potent nature of the ethnic groove, the power of rite. 

This is a futuristic tribe music. When all the science will be forgotten and the technology will be just a relic of an ancient civilisation, this is the music the new tribes on new planets will play. Celebrating the cycles of life, the space, unintelligible movements of the stars. This music mesmerizes you bringing you vision of the future and  false memories of your past alike. You will travel through space and time. This is strikingly unique and refreshing, a complete and very welcomed surprise. It melted my brain. I love it, I love it, I love it!

two tracks from the cd appear on the playlist aired on 13.02.12.

p. let me also congratulate Marek Wajda on the cover art and the design of the cd as it you rarely get to see an artwork that captures so perfectly the nature of the music inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It feels great when someone's reading what I'm writing! Please leave a comment if there's anything on Your mind concerning the post (or other subjects) and come back soon.